Monday 28 July 2008

surf testing - one.surfboards -- mad science labs

a Hollow secret right-hand reef break in Scotland.

the 'Point egg' quad fin set-up. For speed and control.


Here's me having a go at right hand reef in Scotland. i thought the surf was smaller, but the quad "point egg" handled it really well.
The idea of this board came from the greg Liddel displacement hull, eggs. I shaped one like that, and found it really hard to surf. I kept tinkering with the idea. And eventually came up with this shape; called : "Point egg". For surfing smoothly on long point waves. The board still has the insane reactions when you lay it over on rail. But now it's got vee, a heavy double concave + into a single from the nose, for easier paddling. It does wonders in Storm surf + junk surf also.
I have shaped from 5'5" - 6'6" for people. it's my favorite board, a must have in my quiver.
It's kind of a fish, with round edges; so you get much smoother turns off. It has a 16" tail - which is part of the definition of a true fish. But instead of that big swallow tail, i brought those in and you have a round tail. the Liddel copies were single, or 2+1. But the point egg i keep as a quad, or Twin fin + trailer. I have shaped 2+1 for guys and they came back to have extra plugs added. as the tail was too wide for a single fin set-up. But the quad fin controls that and more. It has really added to the boards versitility.
When i want to have fun, as number one, this is my go to board.
aloha Andrew

No comments: